Sunday, May 10, 2009

Walk-A-Thon

Hey everyone,
It's Kat wanting to let you all know what went on Friday May 1st. We had a 10 km Walk-A-Thon to raise more money for Jamaica trip so that we can help people more on the spot with buying food, more supplies etc.

Waking my first ever Walk-A-Thon was a great experience. What was even more special for me personally was that I actually made it. Having had problems with my hips and ankles since I was young, I wasn’t really sure that I would make it. It was really hard at times but knowing there was a whole bunch of people supporting us was really amazing. Even having 35 other youth from Breakaways raising money along side us and coming out to take part in the walk was mind blowing. It meant so much to know we are a part of a bigger team supporting and encouraging us. As I was reaching the finish line with Mark, I was exhausted but at the same time I was glad that I was going to finish. I even said to Mark; “come on lets run to the finish line”. This for me is something I wouldn’t normally do. After the Walk-A-Thon we had lots of great food thanks to Kelly. And after a brief Jamaica team meeting we ended the night with a sleepover.

A couple of times throughout our walk we prayed, our first stop about a third of the way at a hospital. Where we prayed for the sick people in Jamaica, people we would be visiting in the hospitals of Jamaica and for the safety of the team. Our next stop was near a Tim Horton’s. There we prayed for the hungry people of Jamaica, and how we here should be thankful for all the food we have at our fingertips. While the people of Jamaica struggle to feed themselves and their families. Jon brought up a very interesting point on how 50% of our food goes to waste while 75% goes to waste in countries like Jamaica because the people can’t afford to buy any of it. We also prayed for the adjustment for the team on eating, because the food is a lot different there then it is here.

The Walk-A-Thon was a great success; we raised over 800 dollars which will help go a long way for the people of Jamaica. To get friendly competition between our team and the bigger team of Breakaways, we had a challenge: Matteo was willing enough to have anyone who raised more money then he did to pie him in the face this coming Friday. He raised over 100 dollars and we had 2 people raise more then he did Ben and Mark. Also Grace will be pieing Matteo in the face for raising the most pledges.
Thank You to all who walked with us, or supported us.
The front of the line reaching the end of the 10 KM.

1 comment:

  1. Kat, I am so proud of you knowing how your hips, knees and ankles are- BUT YOU MADE IT!!! I can't believe how fast 10 KM goes with some good conversation. I really enjoyed the walk-a-thon.

    ReplyDelete